C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

T a pothole that blew out the tire on 1999 9-3 and now have

Customer Question

Hit a pothole that blew out the tire on 1999 9-3 and now have significant 'setback' so tire scrapes rear fender on turns. What is likely out of alignment or bent?
Category: Saab
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

Good evening, Sounds to me like the rear radius arm got bent when this happened. That is the only thing that can cause this. I have attached the steps to replace. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks. Charlie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. So is the 'stanchion' in the instructions the same as a 'rear radius arm?' Also, why couldn't it also, or more likely, be a bent 'suspension arm' as depicted in the instructions?

That is what I was suspecting is your issue here. The control arm in the photo. Here is the part from a vendor. They may look extremely solid but it really gets hit hard it will tweak it enough to throw the entire thing off like your now experiencing.