Fix_It_Man, Other
Experience:  I am an ASE Master Certified technician and vehicle repair specialist with over 16 years of Saab experience.

Stopped in parking lot turned key on to raise windows and

Customer Question

stopped in parking lot turned key on to raise windows and inadvertantly left key in on position. returned to car after about 30 min. removed key and battery dead, got jumped with cables. error message "steering lock malfunction come to safe stop and contact saab dealer" key {remote} will not turn.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
had saab hauled to my home. used the yellow button under cover to place shifter in neutral for loading on hauler and it unlocked steering also but key still wont turn and still "steering lock malfunction". checked battery voltage, 5 volts. connected battery charger. if learn anything else will post.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** charging the battery will get it going. If the voltage in the system is too low then this will occur. If not what tends to happen is the steering lock shorts internally if the key is just left on. It ends up overheating and causing it to fail. If it did then the entire unit will need to be replaced. I would unhook the battery and charge it and then reinstall it to see if it will work. If you need any other help with this please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Disconnected and charged battery. No change.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Name of unit you said will need replacing.

It is did not help then you will need a new steering column lock. Some places call it the steering lock module.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Steering unlocks but still have steering lock malfunction and ignition won't turn. Will try find module.

When it fails this will happen as the computer will not detect that it has unlocked,.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Part I find is "steering lock" is that the part?

Yes, as long as it is the entire unit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will try find out.

If you need anything further please let me know. Have a great night.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks

Please rate when you can also. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know where I can get good instructions for reeeemoving and replacing steering lock modul

Let me see if I have any.