Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a 2004 Saab 93 sport sedan. It has a 2.0L. The car

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Saab 93 sport sedan. It has a 2.0L. The car appears to run fine. The codes I have are PO 301 and 1341, I have changed the coils, Ion module, sparks plugs and #1 fuel injector. I still have those two codes. The codes appeared within 10 miles after replacing those parts. I did a compression and a leak test. each cylinder has 160. I also did a smoke test and there were not any leaks found. After all this work, the codes come back misfire cylinder 1 and and ion modulation module. When I scan the vehicle with a tech ll, I see the misfire count increase on cylinder 1 but I don't feel any misfire. I also replaced the crank shaft sensor. What else will cause these two codes to appear?
Category: Saab
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.

I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as need, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.

So I just looked up the p1341 and I came up with this as the description, Camshaft Position Sensor B Range / Performance. Have you checked out the cam sensor? Do you have a oscilloscope to see how it is reading? And why did you decide to replace the crank sensor? If the cam sensor is glitching it could be seeing a misfire even tho you don't have one. Let me know what you have found.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the Ion sensor is the cam sensor, it was replace with a new one, still have misfire code.

Awe gotcha, for some reason I figured you meant the module. the coil ionization control module/ignition control module can be common to fail and cause this type of fault as well for this model vehicle.This should be located on the drivers side of the engine below the brake reservoir bolted to a bracket on the engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
one in the same
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE master tech. Hoping I can help you out with this.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

While the engine is running, disconnect the coil on cylinder 1 and go down the line, the rpm should drop after unplugging the coil. Let me know. Also check the rpm signal on the tech 2, also look for cam to crank sensor correlation. Does the misfire counter happen when the engine is hot? Maybe you have dropped valve guides. burnt exhaust valve. Did you do a leak down test when the engine was hot or cold?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Check injector pulse. do you have a noid light?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I know you said the engine runs smooth. Its a 4 cylinder so if one cylinder is not firing it is quite obvious.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

How are your short and long term fuel trims on the tech 2?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan