Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2001 saab 9-5 2.3 turbo. The engine has seized so I

Customer Question

I have a 2001 saab 9-5 2.3 turbo. The engine has seized so I got a 2.0 turbo engine out of a 1999 9-3. I understand mechanics have swapped these engines, but I have a couple of questions. Do I use the headgasket for the 2.0 or 2.3? I plan on bolting my 2.3 head onto the 2.0 block. I am going through the whole 2.0 block plastigaging all bearings and replacing timing components. Please only respond if you have carried out this procedure successfully.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also I have a balance shaft tensioner for a 1991 saab 9000 will this work on the 2.0 engine? The saab parts list says its not interchangeable but it looks totally identical.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

I havent done this procedure myself on this model here so it is difficult to say for sure how this is done and what needs done.I saw no one else had posted any info here on this model for this so I thought I would try and assist with what I can here.

In some cases you can speak to an auto modify/repair facility and they may be able to tell you what all needs done to make this swap out work on your model here.If this is not an option for you let me know as well if you want to continue here to see if anyone else here can assist further on this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please opt out, I rather continue with somebody that has experience doing this procedure.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what is the code???

did you check for 12 volts to the positive side of the coil, key on??

Roy

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What???
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

nuts, I am sorry, I was posting on another question and it went to yours. I am soory and will opt out

Roy