Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

1999 9-5 Turbo, approx. 190K miles. bought from a friend,

Customer Question

1999 9-5 Turbo, approx. 190K miles. bought from a friend, have all maintenance records. Shortly after buying it, took it on a highway trip of about 1 hr each way. At end of return trip, began billowing blue/white smoke. Checked oil, and appears to be actually overfilled. Engine continues to smoke heavily, whether at idle or moving, and keeps wanting to stall at idle.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: It doesn't stall, it just sounds like it wants to. I would not suspect a battery issue for a smoking engine.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible, or else find an independent mechanic near 06067 to work on it.
JA: Is there anything else the Saab Mechanic should be aware of about your Saab?
Customer: I am not aware of anything else. Like I said, I have all of the maintenance records since the initial purchase.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

Hi im kevin how high is oil level ? What dies smoke smell like ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
As stated, the oil on the dipstick is above the top of the OK range. I'm not sure how to describe the smell, it just smells like exhaust, only "heavier" or more pungent.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 months ago.

If the oil is over the maximum then it will cause the engine to smoke . I would have oil changed and refilled to the correct level