rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 1999 Sab 9-3 2.0 SE is turning over but not starting and

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Saab. The Saab Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My 1999 Sab 9-3 2.0 SE is turning over but not starting and I suspect that the fuel pump is not working.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine turns over. I bought a new battery for it last week and it turns over with vigour.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It nearly offers to start but doesn't quite get there.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Saab Mechanic should know about your Saab?
Customer: Yes. I am relatively useful under the bonnet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Saab Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Saab
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

It can be a bad fuel pump, so please test the fuel pressure with a gauge. Also check for spark at the plugs too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you supply me with a diagram of the fuel tank, filter and pump for my 1999 Saab 9-3 SE 2.0 (LPT)
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

There is no diagram for that, you just drop the tank and pull out the pump to install a new one. First perform the testing I suggested, and will address the repair later on.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Ron
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

You bet, thank you too.