Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I have a 1990 Saab turbo with a slight vacuum leak. I'd

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1990 Saab turbo with a slight vacuum leak. I'd like to drive it tomorrow to my mechanic 100 miles away is that safe? It's hissing very slightly and only rough idles below 1.5 rpm. Thanks!
Category: Saab
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 5 months ago.
The computer will sense the lean condition and can compensate for it by increasing the pulse width to the injectors. If it is just a slight leak, there will be no problems driving it to your mechanic.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I open the hood, the hissing isn't slight. I just yesterday had the alternator replaced. I may want to drive to the place that did it nearby in the morning-would they be able to fix it within an hour or so? I maintain this car very well and I don't want to blow a gasket.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please answer
I am sorry for the delay. The shop that replaced the alternator should be able to fix the vacuum leak. It is most likely a ruptured or disconnected vacuum hose.