peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Saab 9-3 SE: 2002 Saab SE Problem with AC: Throws only hot

Customer Question

2002 Saab SE
Problem with AC: Throws only hot air.
Just had my mechanic service the AC.
No impovement.
Mechanic thinks there is problem with the "Divertor". Suggests removing the entire deshboard to access it.
It is not making sense.
I need your input. I would prefer to Do It Myself!
Please help
I
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. It is common for the heater box door flap connection to break on these models here where the electronic actuator is seated on the heater box to turn from hot to cold air.I have seen this several times before and unfortunately the dash has to be removed to then remove the heater box to see if it can be repaired (which in some cases it cannot) or if the heater box needs replaced.This can be a very time consuming job taking over 10 hours labor and in some cases some special tools to fully remove it including removing the ac freon and engine coolant.This was a common issue on these unfortunately as the connections become brittle and break over time.I believe it is the actuator connection under the dash on the drivers side lowest towards the center of the vehicle on the heater box.Usually you can remove the two screws holding the actuator on to see the broken pieces. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Peter. Very processional response. I appreciate it.
Then , I should inspect the broken piece.upon confirmation, have mechanic proceed. I think it will bebetter to repla c ethe box, if the cost is not prohibitiveThis is my first time getting help on a line. I need somehelp in understanding the process:1. I am using I Pad There is no wayto save this communication. HowdoI access this information later on.
2. This $38 dollar fee is reasonable. Is the fee has to be paid everytime I have a question, or there is a monthly or annually fee allowing limited or unlimited questions.
3. I have several other issues. The most pressing is the driver door glass just dropped inside the door.
4. Any source to get access to detailed drawings in 3D for the carThanks
Your welcome 1.You should be receiving emails on this conversation that have links to bring you back to this question here.2.This is something I am not allowed to discuss however you can contact customer support and set up a member account which would work to your advantage if you have more then one question.3.The drivers door glass issue is usually caused by either broken clips on the glass where it mounts to the window regulator or due to the window regulator itself at fault as it can break and fail causing this issue here.This would have to be inspected further to locate and repair the cause.4.You will need quite a bit of info on this repair for the window or the heater box.My best suggestion is signing up for all data.They have a yearly subscription fee for one model vehicle and it is I believe around $30 but it comes with all the info on repair,wiring and diagnosis on this model here and would have pictures and repair info.Here is the link for it.https://www.alldatadiy.com/ Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete