peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Saab 900 se: my name is ***** ***** am in dire need of answers

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** am in dire need of answers please, every time I turn my 1996 Saab 900 SE with in seconds of driving a CHECK GEAR BOX light comes on and from there out it feels like my car starts out in 3rd gear, it's tarable , also I have an oil leak and I was driving to day and my gauge Went all the way up to the H , and that's never happend before please I really need help on what it is and how to fix the gear box situation
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. With the check gear box message coming up here this indicates a fault has been detected with the transmission with one or more of its components at fault.What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set using a scan tool that will plug into your model here and can communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.I have seen shift solenoids in the transmission valve body as well as the transmission valve body itself fail needing replaced.This will have to be checked/tested further to locate and repair this fault here to be sure. The oil leak needs checked over from up top and under the engine to locate the source of the leak.This may be due to an issue with a valve cover leaking or intake leak or even engine oil pan leaking needing the gaskets replaced as these are most common.This will have to be checked into further to pinpoint and repair the fault. As for the engine running to the hot mark this can indicate the coolant low due to a coolant leak needing located and repaired and the coolant refilled or an issue with the thermostat stuck closed needing replaced.Worse case scenario can be a leaking cylinder head gasket causing the fluid leak and the over heat issue needing replaced. All of these do need to be checked into further to locate the source of the fault then from there repaired to correct the issues here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete