Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My windows, wipers, and turn signals have all just stopped

Customer Question

My windows, wipers, and turn signals have all just stopped working. 2004 Saab 93 convertible 57K miles in great shape. Checked all fuses and mechanic is stumped.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionOk, this is going to be a faulty body control module which controls the electrical accessories. It will need to be replaced and new installed and programmed with scan tool.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could it be the Ignition Switch?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Power seats were dead too
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is a company in my city that rebuilds those body controls if I rebuild mine would I still need to reprogram? Thats the issue I dont have anyone around that can program them
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,If the engine cranks and runs, it wont be the ignition switch.If your vehicle's body control module is rebuilt, it doesnt need programming.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I know they pulled apart the ignition switch today and were waiting on a rebuild to try to rule that out before trying the body control unit.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the cost usually of a new body control? I havent gotten the price on the rebuild yet
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,Ok, the part number is ***** and lists for $258, but you can find them for around $200. Below is link to one https://www.esaabparts.com/saab/parts/12772045 Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My car is actually a 2003 not a 2004.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In your experience is a rebuild better or do I run the risk of having this issue again? Im just worried about programming a new one I dont have any way of getting that programmed
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI, Same part number2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible (9400) L4-2.0L Turbo (2.0 HOT)Save ArticleParts InformationOEM PartBody Control ModuleBody Control Module12772045 I have had good experiences with rebuilt BCMs and is very rare that one fails prematurely. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Was this a common problem any cause for this or just random? It just doesnt make sense 57K miles and the car just stlpped working. It does start and runs no problem. My mechanic was leaning tiwards ignition switch just off of whats being shared online
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,I have replaced quite a few of them. On electronics, mileage is less of an issue than age. Usually it is just a circuit board failure inside the control module Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We replaced the ignition switch with a used one and it worked. Glad I didnt have t to go the other route. There is only one place around here that does the programming.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI, Glad you got it and have a great weekend!