peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 SS Conv. The horn quit working, but

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 SS Conv. The horn quit working, but just before it did, I had the common steering wheel lock up problem (1st occurrence in 2 years of ownership). However, I had also had a security horn problem a short while earlier, where it was going off at night. The shop supposedly disconnected it. Since, I have found that the security horn sometimes will still sound, but the horn button does not work. A local shop looked at the horn fuse and said it "blew hard." but replacing the fuse does not make the horn work. This is all very perplexing---but I don't have other significant electric problems. The only thing I can think of, is that when I replaced the worn out, factory rubbery remotes, I bought hard plastic aftermarket ones. They usually worked just fine, but maybe eventually the system sensed that these were not quite right? I am learning that Saabs have very sensitive computer systems. It was somewhat after I had been using the new remotes that these problems happened. My main concern is with the horns----I only stopped the security horn because it started going off at night----so I took the car to a Saab specialist. But obviously that horn still works. But now the horn button on the Steering wheel DOES NOT work, and replacing the fuse does not help. Does this sound like a common problem----which a knowledgable Saab electrician could figure out? I'm stumped! What a finicky car! I have been trying to research this---it appears that problems related to the steering wheel lock are common on this model. But how would I find someone who can trouble shoot this? I know, I know---go to a Saab dealer and spend a couple thousand, right?? I went to a very good auto electric shop---but they won't work on a Saab. Now I am afraid that wherever I go---to either the Saab rebuilder shop or to the one Saab dealer in town---it will be very costly. Have you heard of any syndrome like this. Everything I read sound similar but each case is a little different. My best thinking is that the onboard computer only likes totally stock items---like the stupid rubbery Saab remotes?
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Your best choice to have this model worked on and repaired is a dealer/GM dealer.They will have the correct diagnostic tools and knowledge to diagnose and repair this here making the repairs and diagnosis more trust worthy for this.In some cases other places may guess at the diagnosis and repair and can cause you to pay more.

You may have some shorted or damaged wiring causing this fault here or a fault with a control unit/ecu.The steering lock itself may need replaced.This will have to be tested further to pinpoint the faults for sure and then from there repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete