Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv running rough CEL P0245, P0201 ...

Customer Question

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv running rough CEL P0245, P0201 ... P0204. White smoke at times out the back. I reset the ECM by removing the fuse for 10 seconds. Seems to run ok for a while (Day or 2) and then it coughs and sputters and stalls out and upon restart the smoke comes out the tailpipe and it runs really rough.
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If there is any issues with the fuel injectors this will cause the injector codes to set here.I would have the wiring checked leading from the ecm to the injectors for any issues and if any issues are found the issues will need to be corrected to resolve this fault here.If this is or has been checked and if the injectors were tested and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete I think the P0201 thru P0204 codes are a result of whatever else is wrong. I have this narrowed down to either the ECU itself or something with the Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid. Based on everything I have read and what I am experiencing I am fairly certain it is the ECU that is the issue but I would like to rule out the solenoid or the wastegate itself since that is the source of the first code being thrown. Are there ways I can test the solenoid or wastegate to ensure proper functionality? I have not seen any air leaking from any of the hoses. I pulled and re-seated the solenoid connector but other than that I am unsure what to do to test this out. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

If you clear out these codes do they all come back up again at all?Have you checked for any engine wiring issues on the engine needing repaired or replaced?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the codes continue to come back after being cleared. Same codes. As for the wiring I have not done a point to point check on any specific wires, I have checked the many harnesses for damage and checked the connectors for corrosion and found nothing all looks good.

O.k.,my info isnt listing some of these codes here myself but someone else here may have more info on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete - no one has picked this up. I am still waiting on some direction here.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.

Hi there. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am still trying to diagnose my issue.

Trying to diagnose this system whithout the proper tools is like trying to cut down a 100 foot tree with a kitchen knife. So, based on the information you posted, if I had to guess, I would say the ECU is bad. Other than that, you'd need a scan tool capable of communicating with the Trionic computer and getting sensor data from it, plus a scope to confirm the signal; then I could talk you through the diagnostic steps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a multimeter can the tests be done with just that

I'm afraid your multimeter won't help us unless it is something like a Fluke 199C, and even then we'd also need a capable scan tool.

Trust me, our goal is to help our customers so we can make a little money ourselves. I would not have mentioned the scan tool and the scope if those were not absolutely necessary. The reason why it is so, is because both the injectors and the air-charge solenoid are actuated by pulse-width signals from the Trionic computer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mine is a Fluke but just a model 23 series II Multimeter. So your telling me I am out of luck with this approach. Was hoping to be able to rule out the wastegate solenoid and/or the coils before I looked into switching out the ECU and having it programmed and then potentially finding out I paid $2K to switch out a perfectly good ECU..

Please don't shoot the messenger... I understand your plight and the risk you're taking by sinking two grand into something that might not fix the problem. There's nothing I would love more than for you to have the proper tools so I could help you and, in doing so, perhaps even getting a little money for myself.

As things stand, the only other recommendation I could make is to make sure there are no short circuits in any of the injectors or the waste gate solenoid or related wiring that might be there waiting to kill the new ECU.

By the way, it looks like you can do much better than $2K... click here to see