Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

My 2004 9-3, 2.0T ARC starts when the ignition switch is

Customer Question

my 2004 9-3, 2.0T ARC starts when the ignition switch is turned to on and the starter keeps running. I have changed the ignition with no success and the relay with no success. I am lost on what makes the solenoid engage at the on position and not tell it to disengage??
Category: Saab
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Once the stater stays engaged dose it disengage if you remove the starter relay? Try this if you can and let me know the results. I have enclosed the starter circuit diagram in the link below for reference as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/starter%20Mar%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will not be able to test this action until later today. At work now.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

No problem, check it when you can and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I started the car(again, it starts in the "on" Position and the starter continually runs). I pulled the Relay (R11) and the engine stopped running. I put the Relay back in and the car started again with the starter continually running.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Are you sure the relay is not hanging on you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have another 04 Aero (2.0T engine) and I put that relay in and it did the same thing. I did not pull the R8 relay. Only the R11.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Well if your sure its not the starter relay relay then something has to be back feeding the starter system .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That is my concern. When I pulled the R11, I think that is the ignition relay and the R8 is the Starter relay.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay well try pulling R8 relay , if its the starter relay the engine should not stall .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could it have any thing to do with the ECM? It was shorting out so I had it rebuilt but they fixed the injectors control. That was where the short was.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Looking at the wiring diagram it dose not show any connection to the ECM so I do not think it would be any part of the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will have to check the starter relay tonight. Sorry this is so drawn out!
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

No problem, Im here as long as need be. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Last night I started the car, pulled the R8 - Starter Relay and the starter stopped and the engine continued to run.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

The neck time the starter stays engage try smacking the relay and see if it is sticking or try replacing it with a known good relay.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will give it a try this evening.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay. Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced the R8, starter relay with a know working one Na the car still started in the ignition "On" position and the starter kept running.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Something has to be feeding the start circuit if the starter is staying engaged. It going to be a matter of starting at the ignition switch and working you way forward to determine the cause.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is a short or something between the ignition and the starter relay?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Yes I would agree with that, if you are able to stop the starter from spinning by removing the relay then something has to be shorted from the ignition to the relay causing the relay is stay engaged. .