Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

I have a warning that says Steering Wheel lock malfunction

Customer Question

Rich, I have a warning that says Steering Wheel lock malfunction on my 2007 9-3 Saab, what does this mean?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When we get this message, we cannot lock the doors or open the door or the trunk. The radio does not turn off when the key is removed. When you open the door the bell is ringing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Saab Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

hi im Kevin your vehicle is fitted with an electronic steering lock that appears to be failing there are any items that can cause this from low battery voltage to steering column module to the steering lock itself .the only way to find the exact cause is the have car steering lock system scanned for fault codes using Saab diagnostics

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We didn't get a helpful answer we wanted an answer that we could fix. We don't have a diagnostic machine so we have to find a mechanic to help us . This was our first time on your site . We will have to just bite the bullet and go to a mechanic and save the fee you
charged .....,thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.

im sorry the help wasn't as expected in some situations there is very little we can do without a diagnostic machine to interrogate system to locate fault .the components that are possibly at fault can also be expensive and I wouldn't want to misguide you into just replacing parts without being able to test .in this case the diagnostic tool is the only tool that can be used to test components to find the cause. I hope you accept that im not trying to mislead or take your money if fact the opposite it trying to advise you that having car put on diagnostic machine is the cheapest option in this case in the long run for getting the most accurate diagnosis