Piotr
Piotr, Saab Mechanic
Experience:  3+ years technician
46335329

My cars electronics, and radio stayed on when I pulled key

Customer Question

My cars electronics, and radio stayed on when I pulled key out of ignition and opened the door. It's a steering wheel lock malfunction. So I started the car again, turned it to the lock position, pulled key out. Still won't turn off. Took negative battery cable off for 5 or seconds. Put it back on. Now key fob won't unlock the doors or start the car. The key won't leave the lock position. Steering wheel is lose, not locked. What do I need to do to fix this? Thank you in advance.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having may be a problem with the Column Integration Module (CIM) and Ignition Switch Module but in order to determine what is failing the first thing your going to need to do is to have the system scanned to see what fault codes are setting. Unfortunately a Tech 2 scanner with Saab software is needed to diagnose and repair this issue. This in most cases means the dealer will need to do the scan for you. If you have access to the scan tool and can get me the fault code and or codes I will try and help you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is that like a higher end OBD2 scanner? And it needs to have specific Saab software on it? Do you know why now since I took the battery cable off and put it back on, my key fob dont work to unlock the car or even turn the ignition to the on position?
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Yes this system requires a Tech 2 scanner which Saab dealer have and also some GM dealers. It sounds like something has lost programming but the only way to know if in fact that is the case you are going to need to start a system scan.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There has got to be a back door way to at least getting power back to the car and fob. It had it before I disconnected the battery.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately I do not know of a way. I can open the post back up for you if you would like to see if someone else may have more information for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That would be fine with me. Considering Saab is out of business, and it might be hell trying to find that scanner. I called my local GM dealer 4 times yesterday, and I am yet to hear back.
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Okay, doing so now, if someone else has something new to offer they will respond.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Piotr replied 9 months ago.

hi, does cars have a problem with immobilizer control module (CIM) with is integrated with steering column switches assembly , this is something good locksmith or dealership have to fix for you, used parts can be used for repairs but require some electronic repair skills, and dealership will not do it for you or go used parts way. they will want to replace whole module with new ignition keys.

Expert:  Piotr replied 9 months ago.

http://www.thesaabsite.com check it out, you can get new cim with keys already programmed for your vehicle