peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

1987 Saab Turbo 900 Convertible Check Engine light not

Customer Question

1987 Saab Turbo 900 Convertible Check Engine light not working at all.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, wiring diagrams are limited for this age Saab, so I need to check first to see if I even have the schematics for the check engine light. I need the vin number for this

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My Vin # *****: YS3AT76L1H7004947.
Thanks!
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

HI,

Below are the only wiring diagrams for the instrument panel warning lights - nothing for the check engine light at all

1987 Saab 900 L4-1985cc 2.0L DOHC Turbo EFI

Advanced

Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators

Information for Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators

Diagrams

Electrical

Seatbelt & Ignition Key Warning Circuit

Brake Fluid Level Warning Lamp

Exh Warning Lamp Wiring Circuit

Shift Up Indication

So unfortunately I am not able to help at all on this. I will opt out and open this up to other experts to see if any may have the needed wiring diagrams

Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you still need help with this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I still need help. My car will not pass smog.

O.k.,I do not show the diagram for the check engine light on this model here but the engine ecu controls the ground signal to this light.If you have no ground signal for the light bulb to light and the ecu was replaced with the same issue this can indicate a fault with the wiring leading from the engine ecu to the instrument cluster.If you do have a ground and power for the light to operate this indicates the fault is in the instrument cluster itself and the cluster needs removed and repaired by an authorized repair center or removed and replaced to correct this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Pete, I will check on ecu and cluster tomorrow or Tuesday and get back with you.
Norvell

Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Pete, who would have the diagram for the check engine light? Can the light cluster be bench tested?

I suspect the only place that will have this diagram info is a dealer most likely.I use some of the shop manual info most shops use and it isnt listing this info there so a dealer would probably be the only place in some cases.The cluster can be tested but it would need to be tested by a facility that can plug into your cluster to operate the components in it properly to test signals.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete