peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

My key is stuck in the ignition and I have a message saying

Customer Question

Hi, my key is stuck in the ignition and I have a message saying steering lock engaged and the car won't start? Can you help me in this?
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like the common fault with the steering lock itself.The electronic steering lock can fail internally causing this issue here.On some of these models Saab had released a recall to have the lock replaced due to a fault internally with it.You would have to check with a dealer to see if your vehicle applies to this recall to have done.

The lock will fail electronically and can cause the key issue here and in allot of cases a no start.The reason for a no start is the vehicle will not start and allow the operator to operate it if the lock is engaged because there would be no steering.

I suspect your lock needs replaced to correct this fault here.The only other thing to check first is to make sure your battery cables are clean and tight and the battery itself is o.k. and doesnt need re charged or replaced.

The lock is located under the dash on the drivers side on the steering column assembly.The lock in some cases can run up to $300 and 1 hours labor to have replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete