George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

I am working on a 2008 9-3 2.0T saab convertible, whose

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** *****, I am working on a 2008 9-3 2.0T saab convertible, whose heater motor hasn't been working. It came on unexpectedly for a few hours 2 weeks ago, but since then hasn't worked at all. I have the glovebox removed and will remove the passenger side fascia so I can get at the blower unit from underneath. But before I replace the thing, is there any way to check if there is power getting to the motor? I want to make sure there isn't a relay or something at fault instead of the motor itself.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Climate control fan motor just stopped working one day. Didn't matter where temp was set or if it was on defrost - no air movement.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saab Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Um, ok.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saab
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You certainly can check the motor.

When it is not operating properly use a paperclip to probe along the wire and a voltmeter/testlight to check for power at the connector. If you have power in but nothing on the other wire it is the motor. If you show 12 volts on both connections then it is not the motor but elsewhere in the system. This test is done with the key on and the blower switch on the high selection.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

If you find something that does not agree with what I posted above let me know so I can help

Thanks