Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

About three weeks ago my 2000 95 turbo started to miss and

Customer Question

About three weeks ago my 2000 95 turbo started to miss and run on three cylinders occasionally. During the time it ran on three cylinders the engine light went on and off, When the engine was running correctly the light stopped blinking but stayed on. We put it on the computer and the code said mass air sensor , throttle body. prior to that I changed the plugs. (NKG) I purchased the correct cleaner , removed the air sensor disassembled it and very gently cleaned it. No difference. I feel that it might be the ignition cassette. I have had 8 Saabs and the last one 1997 CSE had two replaced. One, the engine quit completely and the next time one coil went bad but it did not do it once in a while it immediately ran on three all the time.This car will run fine for maybe 10 miles then periodically miss then run good for awhile and the is a white vapor coming out of the tail pipe when running bad that smallest of unburnt fuel.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

A couple of things I need -

first, the 17 digit vin number to pull up correct schematics and testing

second, any current fault code numbers

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
First I want you to know that I was brought up in the automobile world as my father was a Studebaker Repair garage in Detroit and I am a federally licensed Aircraft and Engine mechanic. I have knowledge of the workings of an internal combustion engine but being 85 things have gone beyond me especially electronics. That said, here is the vin number, (ys3ed58e9y3047554). I will have to get the code number but both my usual mechanic (who was a mechanic at the Saab Dealer in Grand Rapids until they went out of business and I trust him implicitly) and Auto Zone both got the same reading. (Mass Oxygen Sensor) I will have to go back and get the code number but I hate to drive the car. I am confused as to why you need schematics and how do you test when your not here. Someone on this planet must have experienced this problem and not just me.
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

As you have done mechanical work, you should be fully aware that misfires can be caused by dozens of multiple causes, so what is responsible for a misfire in one case is not always responsible in another case.

No, I am not going to do any testing, but I assumed you would want the testing procedures and I would walk you thru them.

But I am going to opt out and see if another expert can help you as you seem a bit antagonistic towards myself. Do not respond until another expert replies to you, otherwise it will lock it to me

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I am not antagonistic toward you I just do not understand how you expect me to do the testing. In both testing two individual tests were performed by two different locations a week apart and got the same results and after I cleaned the sensors and re installed them we still get the same code. Naturally just cleaning would not correct a bad sensor. I am the one who came up with the cassette idea because of the past experience and common sense. I would think that you would be more then interested in solving the problem no matter how long it takes. In the past when I worked with you people I always made it worth the mechanics worth while as I am not a cheap skate or not aware of the time you spend. warren. This car has 218,000 miles on it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here we go again. Yes a new mechanic contacted me but asked for more money. plus he knew nothing about my problem. As I wrote in one of my replies do you not allow the new mechanic to see all the previous replies from me and the answers from the first mechanic. I had already done most of the things that were suggested but it seemed to me that no one ever read my replies. I am tired of having to repeat three times to you people my problem. Give me my money back.