Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

My daughter has a 2002 Saab 9-3 with manual climate control.

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** daughter has a 2002 Saab 9-3 with manual climate control. Her fan blower stopped working. I have read several threads about fan blower motor, and took off wipers adn cowling to acess it under cabin air filter. I ran 12 v power to it directly from the battery, and it spins like crazy with no bearing noise. I checked the resistor, and could not determine if it was bad, so i replaced it with a new one, but that did not solve the problem. The fan motor still does not run. So now I am thinking that the MCC unit has a bad fan controller rheostat? I hate to spend the money to buy a replacement MCC unit without doing some further troubleshooting to verify that it is the culprit from the fan blower not running. How do access the MCC and troubleshoot it to see if the rheostat is bad?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats That's pretty much everything on this issue. The fues is good, the fan blower is good, and the reistor pack is new, but fan blower still does not run at any speed setting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saab Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure. It would be money well spend if I can get to this problem fixed for her. We do not have saab mechanics locally. If this works, i will likely ask a question about her fron telectric poower windows. but fan blower fix is priority now.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are having with the blower motor can be caused by any of the following,

• Automatic Climate Control (ACC) Programmer
  • Fan Control Module (speed controller)
  • Wiring
    The most common one to fail is usually the speed controller. In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Blower%20motor%20Dec%2015.pdf