350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2006 Saab 9-3 recently hab the brakes done now the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Saab 9-3 recently hab the brakes done now the pedal goes down and if you pump the pedal the second pump is better and the third is like it should be. Each time the brake is applied you have to pump them
Category: Saab
Expert:  350matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello

this sounds like you still have air in the system

I'd double check all the unions for tightness on all the joints.
Also I'd use a pressure bleeder such as Easibleed to push fluid through to each corner first then use the two person method below to bleed the brakes.

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times then holds it down then you crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

Repeat this a few times on all calipers and start with the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder.

If you still have an issue then it could be a flexible brake line is ballooning under pressure, this can't always be seen from the outside so to test this use a hose clamp on each line in turn to close off then lines one at time . Push the pedal in between and see if you can feel any difference as each line is closed off.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am sure it is not air. It acts like there is too much clearence between the pads and rotors on the rear once you pump them you have a good pedal
Expert:  350matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello

OK in that case the rear calipers will need stripping down and cleaning out as its sounds like the seals may be worn and not allowign the correct amount of spring back so 1st thing to try is to remove any debris and dirt from the pad sockets in the calipers