sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have SAAB 9.3 2.0t, 2003. my key only key is broken, I was

Customer Question

Hi, I have SAAB 9.3 2.0t, 2003. my key only key is broken, I was advised to come to SAAB service. but they required $1400. I bought this car for $1500. and I spent twice more to fix it. Is there any way to contact factory and by vin number they can send me a key?
Category: Saab
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There isn't' a way to simply order a key by the VIN number and have it work. The key will be ordered by VIN but keys don't come programmed. Replacing a key has to be done with the unprogrammed key in the vehicle and a scan tool is connected to initiate programming, information is sent to the key by the column integration module to program it. Unfortunately there isn't a way to program a key without the vehicle being present.

I believe part of the high cost is you not having a functional key. If you don't have a functional key it requires the column integration module to be replaced along with the new keys.