sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Pete, do you have a diagram of how to get to the 2006 Saab

Customer Question

Hi Pete, do you have a diagram of how to get to the 2006 Saab 93 Aero's Steering Control Module itself...I have a U0212 code coming up...I replaced that Ignition switch and it didn't resolve the problem. When I put in the key I don' hear the stearing column unlock...the radio and all other this works...I turn the key and nothing happens...guessing it has to do with the steering column control module.
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U0212 Lost Communication With Steering Column Control Module
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the last few days it would turn on ok (after a few tries) even with the code coming up (check engine light)...but now it completely seems to not want to start...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it may be the ABS module as that comes up as well - it says stability control failure on the notice screen...but then goes away...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries...I've resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or at least the check engine light is no longer on....see if it comes back on.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the steering column module issue is causing the ABS light since it needs to see the steering angle sensor signal, but it's possible that bus communication between modules is going down completely due to a wiring issue or a failure in a module.

Do you know what codes are setting in the ABS module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
‎The check engine light came back on again...the code is U0212 - lost communication with steering control module...the check engine light came on while driving along with abs light and parking light...When I came home with the car - shut it off and tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't turn on...the only light that was on the dash after trying to turn back on was the check engine light. I just tried to turn the car on this morning and it turned on with the check engine light on...with only the U0212 code coming up on my ODBbook code reader. I don't see any Abs codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think the CIM needs to be replaced...?

Do you have the ability to go into the ABS module with the code reader?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a loo now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a look now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I have the tool to check the abs codes...

You would access the ABS and all other modules through a module menu on the code reader.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok...I will check that....weird thing is the check engine light went out and the car started a minute ago...anyhow I will go and check it out on the reader....one other question is that when I put my key into the ignition switch it would normally unlock the steering column and you can hear it clearly...at times now when I put in the key it won't make that unlocking sound....just wondering why sometimes it does make the unlocking and sometimes it doesn't?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it looks like my code reader doesn't have the abs module from what I can see - Code Reader is the ODB Book Launch.

You're not hearing it unlock because of the column module issue.

What did you do when you initially thought the problem was repaired?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the Ignition switch - is all I did so far...thinking that was the problem...but after initially replacing the ignition switch it didn't start...an hour later I tried it again and it started.....yesterday I heard it the column unlock and the car started, tried it now and its not unlocking and the car started....just not reliable to drive and get stuck somewhere after turning the car off...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend starting with replacement of the CIM next...? I know its not a cheap piece...

You can either try replacing the CIM or testing while the problem is happening to confirm it has failed. A full capability scan tool should be used for a sure diagnosis and to confirm the CIM is the only module not communicating. If not then it's powers, grounds and bus voltages would be tested. If ok and the module won't communicate with a scant tool then it can be condemned.