350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

!!! You were helping me with my car problem. I having

Customer Question

For 350Matt ONLY!!! You were helping me with my car problem. I having been having fumes in the cabin for almost two months. The turbo has been replace and the bottom of the car has been pressure washed. Nothing has helped. Optional Information: What have you tried so far?: Replacing turbo with bad rings and pressure washing the bottom of the car.

Follow-up question: Your suggestion was thoroughly checked out and it did not solve the problem. I did say this is a 2001 Saab 9.3 Turbo. The turbo has just been replaced as it was leaking oil. As soon as I begin driving the car, my eyes start to burn. Then, the fumes get in my lungs and my mouth. It lasts for hours after I am out of the car. Has anyone else had this problem?

Category: Saab
Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear that you've still got issues

I'd next check all the exhaust joints with a running car as there must be leak on teh exhaust system somewhere, also check the manifold to head joint for leaks and the best way to do this is fell with your bare hands around each joint with a running engine, or use a feather to watch for it being blown

I'd also try closing off the fresh air intake to see if this helps as its possible the fresh air intake is drawing in fumes off the back of the engine as there should be a rubber seal to seperate the engine bay from the intake

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything that you suggested did not work. It is not exhaust it could either be oil or gas fumes. The turbo has been replaced recently (a couple of weeks) the bottom of the car was pressured wash and the turbo was replaced. All of the connections has been, checked all hoses has been checked and everything is okay so far. When the windows are down the fumes come into the car.

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the extra information

OK 1 thing to check is the condition of the trunk or rear hatch seal as I've known a poor seal in this area to then let exhaust fumes into the car especially when you drive with the windows down as you create negative pressure inside the car due to the wind rushing past

the best way to check the seal is to smear vaseline or grease on the sealing rubber and then close the trunk and re-open it, you should see a grease line all along the panel

so if this is OK then check the condition of the engine crankcase breather where its plumbed into the engine air intake as a cracked pipe or leaking fitting will vent engine fumes into the bay where they may be picked up by the cabin fan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The seal was checked but, without the Vaseline. It will be re-done. The crankcase, etc. was check as well. My mechanic believes that it is an oil or gas leak and not an exhaust leak.

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

an oil leak onto the exhaust is a possibilty as it only takes a small amount of oil to make a lot of smoke so carefully check over the state of the cam cover for any oil leaks and if the turbo oil feed pipe is tight onto the turbo

Expert:  350matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.