Mark N
Mark N, Saab Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience on all models of Saabs!
22700663

I have a Saab 9-5 V6, 1999. The Check Engine light has been

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Saab 9-5 Griffin V6, 1999.
The Check Engine light has been on for about a year now but doesn't seem to cause any problems. However, the TCS OFF light has been on for a few weeks and has since made the car almost undriveable as it keeps stalling and not coming back on for a minute or so. The light just came on all of a sudden whilst I was driving and I barely made it home. Most mechanics have told me that the Throttle Body needs replacing but that is exactly what I had replaced last year for the same problem. On that occasion the TCS OFF light was on but eventually switched itself off after not using the car for a couple of months. Replacing the Throttle Body made no difference.
Just a summary, Check Engine light is on. TCS OFF light is on. Car stalls and is completely dead when trying to restart. Throttle Body is what most mechanics have asked me to check but this has recently been replaced.
Any help solving this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, there should be fault codes stored in the computer. Have you had it scanned for fault codes yet, and if so, what are the fault code numbers? Should be Pxxxx codes - example P0420

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm not entirely sure. I used a code checker I bought from amazon but once I did a system scan, according to that machine, there are no error codes to report. When I had this problem last year, the mechanic did a scan and found the Throttle Body was faulty. I have not had it professionally scanned since.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Without knowing the current fault codes, I cannot say for sure what the issue is. I will opt out and see if another can help