Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I need some expert help on a 2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible

Customer Question

I need some expert help on a 2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible automatic. It has no bus communication with Trionic 7 module. It also has a long delay once the key is on for the check engine light to light & the engine coolant fan runs as soon as the key is on. It will start for 2 seconds if battery disconnected & reconnected?? like it resets ?? I think checked fuses & relays have been swapped around. I have seen issues with ignition switch before & replaced the electrical portion with new switch. I do have a Tech II with Saab software.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

do the following and let me know which control modules your tech2 will not communicate with

Introduction Regardless of the control module selected in the Tech 2 menu, the Tech 2 will first contact the DICE to check that all control modules connected to a bus are communicating correctly. A warning is given by the Tech 2 in the event of a fault. The Tech 2 can detect the following faults: 1 No communication with the DICE. 2 No communication with one or more control modules connected to a bus. 3 No communication with any of the systems not connected to the bus. 1 No communication with the DICE. If the Tech 2 cannot contact the DICE, it will not be able to check that the control modules connected to a bus are communicating correctly either. The fault is probably because the DICE is not supplied with current or the diagnostics cable is not connected to the DICE (pin 7 of the data link connector and pin 28 of the DICE). The following menu will appear on the Tech 2: DICE (Dashboard ICE) NO BUS SYSTEM CAN BE CONTACTED CAUSE No communication with DICE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE Check the selected car model Turn the ignition switch to ON Press <ENTER> to try again If the trouble persists. If <ENTER> is selected, Tech 2 will again attempt to make contact with DICE. If <EXIT> is selected, Tech 2 will attempt to make contact with the selected control module (as Airbag and ABS must be able to be contacted even when DICE is not present). 2 No communication with one or more control modules connected to a bus If the Tech 2 is in communication with the DICE but one or more control modules connected to a bus are missing, the following menu will appear on the Tech 2: Checking Bus ONE OR MORE BUS SYSTEMS CANNOT BE CONTACTED CAUSE One or more control modules are not communicating on the bus DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE Press <OK> to view missing control module. OK If <OK> is pressed, a list of the control modules fitted as original equipment on the car will be displayed. "OK" is shown on the right of each control module if it is communicating correctly and "Missing" if the control module is missing from the bus. Bus Configuration Instrument Bus Systems TWICE (Theft Warning ICE) OK SID (Saab Information Display)OK MIU (Main Instrument Unit) Missing Audio system OK ACC (Automatic Climate Control)OK CD Changer OK More Regardless of whether <ENTER> or <EXIT> is pressed, the Tech 2 will try to communicate with the selected control module. If the Tech 2 cannot contact the selected control module, the following menu will appear: MIU (Main Instrument Unit) NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE SYSTEM Check the selected car model Press <ENTER> to try again Press <EXIT> to end. Should the trouble persist. 3 No communication with any of the Systems not connected to the bus. The fault then probably is caused by the control module not being supplied with power or that the diagnostic cable is not connected to the control module. If Tech 2 cannot make contact with the system, the following menu will be displayed: Airbag NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE SYSTEM Check the selected car model Press <ENTER> to try again Press <EXIT> to end. Changing car configuration If a new control module connected to a bus is installed in the car, the list will be appended automatically. If a control module connected to a bus, such as the CD changer, is removed from the car, the list can be reset to zero with a command under "All systems/Read/Clear Configuration" or "DICE/Read/Clear Configuration". Bus Configuration Instrument Bus Systems TWICE (Theft Warning ICE) OK SID (SAAB Information Display)OK MIU (Main Instrument Unit) OK Audio system OK ACC (Automatic Climate Control)OK CD Changer Missing Reset More

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, I will check things tommorow from your information. When I do plug in & scan for any codes it say Trionic 7 missing. The power seat module is missing & acc module because they are out of the car to get to the ignition switch. talk to you Thursday. I was wondering if anyone would reply. David
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, make sure to plug them in before going thru the steps, otherwise it will not complete the BUS circuit and will thru off results.

I will be online all day tomorrow for when you reply back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eric, Plugged the other modules in & can communicate with everything except Trionic7. David
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me pull the schematics - need the last 8 of the vin number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Y7007778
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, give me about 30 minutes with this

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

sorry, I will need to opt out as I dont have the connector pinouts or other needed schematics for this. If another expert does, they will post here