AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I am changing out the altenator n my girlfriends saab and

Customer Question

I am changing out the altenator n my girlfriends saab and I'm at a stand still with removing (tapping out) the the sleeve on the mounting bracket which holds it into it into place. I can't see that it comes all the way through or a place to " tap it out' she has a 1999 Saab 93 se turbo please help me remove this sleeve! Seeings that I am a 44 heYear rold female, the odds are against me, & I REALLY don't like to let anything beat me. Tank you. Angela
Category: Saab
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hi Angela. This project wont defeat you. Can you possibly take a picture of the sleeve? All I can recall from that vehicle is 2 bolts securing the alternator. are you talking about the sleeve pressed into the bracket that tightens against the alternator when the bolt is tightened down? Let me know and I'll be here to help.

If that's the sleeve your referring to, then your best bet is to try using a pry bar and prying the alternator out of the bracket and swinging the alternator back and forth while working it out of the bracket. That sleve does not run all the way through the alternator. It just tightens down on it when the bolt is tightened down. The problem is that trying to remove the alternator when that sleeve is clamped down so tight and has been so for many years can be a real chore.

Not sure if you have already done so, but It will be easier if you remove the tensioner and the upper bracket. I know this is a more difficult alternator replacement than typical.

How did it go?