Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I just started to read this page when your chat opened, so I

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Tom, I just started to read this page when your chat opened, so I thought I'd run this past you first. My 97x won't crank, the battery is fully charged and has full amps (just tested), the starter was just replaced. All lights, chimes etc are fully functional, there is a distinct "click" when the ignition is turned and again when released, but not cranking. Thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What would you like to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Saab Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Are you able to ball park "a bit"? We're down to 1 car and a motorcycle for 3 people that need to be different places in the immediate future. We're in Minnesota and it's a bit brisk, so the bike is not a great option...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to try help you with this problem we need to know what your working on, year, make and model as well as the engine size. If you can post back with the complete information I will try and help you get this resolved if you are still needing help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2005 SAAB 97x Linear (Vortec 4200, inline 6) I believe I was very clear regarding what I'm working on, but here it is again: The engine won't crank, the battery has been professionally tested and is at full volts and amps. All lights and chimes work when the ignition is engaged, the load balance pump works as well. There is a definite click when the ignition is placed in start, but the engine doesn't turn over. The starter has been replaced, the identical symptoms remain.Please get back to me ASAP. Cell:(###) ###-####
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The computer system is designed to detect a no crank condition and in most cases it will pick and set a fault code, are you able to scan the system and see what code is setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a tester and since I can't start the vehicle, I can't take it anywhere for scanning. Would this possibly be a faulty crank sensor?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The crank shaft position sensor send a signal to the computer in order for the computer to fire the coils as well as the injectors and has no affect on the engine not being able to crank. Is your theft light flashing by chance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checking on the theft light...
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only lights that remain on after the key is released are the engine light and security light, both are stationary.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well with out the ability to scan the system I'm not sure how to advise you to proceed from here with nothing to go on, one thing you can try is do a reset, try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minute and reconnect it and see if that will work. If not then a scan is going to need to be performed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery was completely disconnected overnight while the starter was being installed. Will an Actron PocketScan Code Reader CP9125 with these specs work: "OBD II 16-pin connector cable provides both data and power connections"
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

This type of code reader will usually pull engine codes but it may not work for retrieving any body codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type will pull body codes? More accurately, what do I need to get through this issue?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You will need a SAAB compatible full scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2005 is a GM vehicle, shouldn't OBD 1 and OBD II compliant scanners that cover GM vehicles work?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you are correct, its the same as a Trail blazer and it is OBDII . It may work, give it a try and see, the problem is most simple code readers will only read engine P codes and not Body codes. The only way to know is try it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of body code would affect cranking the engine? There is no new body damage.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Security system codes mostly, let try these test steps.

See some things you can check starting with all the fuse shown in the start circuit wiring diagram I have enclosed below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open the steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Starter%20wiring%20Oct%2017.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20crank%20Oct%2017.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'll check these, which will take a while. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No problem, take as long as you need. Its at least a place to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All ignition and starter fuses are good. I purchased a Bosch OBD1000 which reads body codes. I followed the directions several times and the OBD1000 says "0 error codes".
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well then the next steps would be to follow the stater circuit power flow starting at the ignition switch using the wiring diagram I sent you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If, after testing as per steps 2-4 and the PCM needs to be replaced, where is it located?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The PCM is located on the right side of the dash behind the glove box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not near the vehicle just now - does it look like this?
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-engine-control-module-ecc2050mu/10101606-P?searchTerm=engine+control+moduleAlso, is there any chance that the starter relay in the fuse box under the hood could be the problem?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is the PCM and the best way to check the relay is replace it with a known good relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the relay over the lunch hour and will let you know the result.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Im here all day, good luck, relay is much cheaper then the PCM so lets hope .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was very hopeful it would be the relay, but it didn't correct the problem. I also swapped all ignition related relays in the under-seat box, no change. So, to test the PCM powers and grounds, these are all in connectors, correct? Are the connectors at the PCM? This may be a stupid question, I'm at work and can't put eyes on it right now, do I pull the connectors from the PCM and switch the ignition on to test the voltage at the terminals specified in the document?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is the proper way to check then, at the PCM in the connectors for power and ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** probably be a few hours before I can do this.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, good luck