Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
61695331

I have a SAAB 9-5 2001 4 door wagon - it had its battery

Customer Question

I have a SAAB 9-5 2001 4 door wagon - it had its battery completely drained and my friends then decided it would be a good idea to charge the battery for 45 minutes. After the car started the speedometer comes on like never and when it does it is only for about 3 miles. The ABS light stays on the emergency brake light stays on the engine light stays on and TCS off light stays on. The RPM, turbo, heat, fuel gauges all work a 100% of the time. I've Heard there is a reset for the computer somewhere on the back of the vehicle and may have been compromised with the dead battery ordeal. Please, help! Thank you
Category: Saab
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome!

The ABS anti lock brake control module, sends a vehicle speed signal to the speedometer. The ABS module receives this signal from the left rear wheel speed sensor.

A problem with the ABS control module, or wheel speed sensors will cause the speedometer not to work and the dash lights you explained to turn on.

There is a known problem with the ABS module in your vehicle to fail and causing your concern. A rebuild ABS module is the most cost effective route.

Ensure that the ABS Fuse #1 is good.

As this is a known problem with your vehicle i can not guarantee just replacing the module will work. Fault tracing the ABS modules power and ground circuits will be needed. and testing for proper AC voltage from the rear wheel speed sensors.

I have not heard of any resets that will work.

If you need any other help please let me know.

Thanks

William

Have i answered all of your questions? I only strive for excellent service, If you need anything else at all i will be happy to help you.

Thank you for your question.

William.