Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

98 saab 900. started yesterday. shut it off. got back in and

Customer Question

Hi Tom. '98 saab 900. started yesterday. shut it off. got back in and turned key. No click, no crank, no nothing. lights on dash light up, but nothing else. pushed car in reverse, popped the clutch and it started. drove it for an hour. shut it off. nothing again. lights on dash, radio, parking lights all come on. No solenoid click, no crank when ignition turned all the way.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If the starter has been checked and your 100 percent sure it's good the problem is one of two things. It can be the clutch position switch under the clutch pedal that fails like a brake light switch a does not allow the starter to engage or the electrical portion of the ignition switch. If the starter is good that's the issue. These are the next steps . Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are the next steps. Are you sure a 1998 actually has a clutch position switch? This car is able to start without even pushing the clutch, whether in neutral or not.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If that's the case then the issue is the electrical portion of the ignition switch if the starter is good.