nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Saab 9-3 Convertible: 2004 93 conv the top has quit working.

Customer Question

2004 93 conv the top has quit working. The light says obstruction in trunk. There is nothing in the trunk
Category: Saab
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
The soft top drive device has a position sensor (hall sensor) mounted on the soft top drive hinge that informs the control module if the soft top
storage is down or not.
If the soft top storage is not at its lowest position, the control module will not operate the soft top but will send a bus message, after which the Saab
information display (SID) will show: "Soft top blocked. Remove obstruction and try again", meanwhile an acoustic signal will be heard.
Accordingly, i would make sure that the storage is at lowest position, then check the hall sensor connector (at the drive hinge), and if all these are good and the problem persists, then the hall sensor requires replacement.
Check this diagram for further details and locations:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzQ2gtY0hzam5ab0E/view?usp=sharing
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have to wait until Monday to have our guy look at your answer, One other question which may be the same problem Whenever it rains the top is leaking over the rear windows. The leaking is significant in that we have to keep towels over the seats and floors. We are handicapped because of no Saab dealers left in the area
Expert:  nabilc replied 1 year ago.
The water ingress might cause the sensor damage. But this would need fixing the top cloth and seals around the windows.
I will be waiting for your findings.
Cheers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my guy went on vacation for a couple of weeks so things are delayed