Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years experience. Former shop owner, service manager.
2947720

Saab 9-3 Aero: I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero. I noticed it was

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero. I noticed it was getting Hot yesterday. I drove it home and checked under the hood. The fill/ overflow tank was full and bubbling. I let it cool down and change the thermostat today. I took it on a test drive only to have the same results. Please advise
Category: Saab
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Do you remember this one?
.
http://www.justanswer.com/saab/94ch5-saab-need-replace-thermostat-2004-saab-9-3-aero.html
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you.