peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Saab 9-3 Vector: I have a 2003 9-3 Saab that needed a new engine,

Customer Question

I have a 2003 9-3 Saab that needed a new engine, I put an engine with the same engine code in the car but it was a 2005 engine. Now everything runs great but I have an error code p0325 showing a faulty knock sensor. Please help, did I just spend all that money for nothing?
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Both the 2003 and 2005 model do not use the knock sensors themselves.It uses the spark plug,ignition coil and control module to detect any knocking and combustion.
The first thing to do here is to make sure all ignition coils,spark plugs and plug boots are all installed properly to your vehicle.
if this is found to be o.k. next the diagnostic checking needs done (which I will post below to see if there is an issue with any of the ignition components needing replaced).
The engine part numbers are different from each other from the 2003 to the 2005 so if all is connected properly and working I suspect this has to do with compression/combustion causing this fault code to set making the replacement engine incompatible with your model here unfortunately.
Computers and Control Systems: Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures
P0325
P0325 00
Knock detection circuit, no activity
Fault symptom
Check Engine
Poor engine torque.
On-board diagnosis
Type of diagnosis:
Continuous
Enable criteria:
Engine running.
Coolant temperature exceeds 60 degree C.
Accelerator pedal depressed.
Fault criteria:
No pulses on the knock lead from CDM during 6000 combustions.
Dependent:
No fault in the Combustion Detection Module, P1315.
System reaction to a fault:
Torque limited to max. 170 Nm.
OK report:
Pulse on the knock lead from CDM during 6000 combustions.
Fault handling:
Type III
Checking the wiring harness
Move the wiring harness at several spots and in several directions to reveal intermittent breaks and short circuits. Check switches, connectors and crimp
connections for oxidation, retracted pins and pin clamping force.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain the diagnostics in a bit more detail?
Is the engine running rough at all at any engine speeds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not one bit. It sounds and feels silky smooth.
With it running smooth and correctly from here this sounds like engine incompatibility.Usually if the engine is pinging or running slightly rough this code will set here but since it is running properly this sounds like an incompatibility issue between the two engines.
In some cases a dealer may be able to reprogram the engine computer to correct this for the engine that is installed but in other cases the engine may need replaced with the correct engine for your vehicle.A GM dealer can check and perform any needed programming.
Thanks Pete