sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Top will not go down

Customer Question

Top will not go down
Category: Saab
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
There are quite a few things that can cause a top to not lower, especially depending on the model and year of the vehicle.
The problem could be the switch itself, wiring, blown fuses, the pump motor, a hydraulic fluid leak, cylinders, or if it's a later vehicle it could be a microswitch issue.
If the pump does run but the top doesn't move then a leak is most likely.
Modern convertibles use microswitches to monitor the state of components during operation and if one doesn't show the correct state then it will suspend operation. Modern convertible systems are also controlled by modules, a failed module would be a possible cause for it not working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Early this spring I tried to lower it and it started to go through every the steps. It stopped after it lowered the windows and raised the tonneau. Sabb machanic Duke of Saab in NH. Could not figure it out. If you try to lower the top absolutely nothing happens (no sound or movement). It was working fine in the fall. It is a 2001 viggen. I did find a 7.5 fuse had blown and when replaced the trunk lid would now open. I tried the top but it did not work furthermore the trunk lid stopped working again.
Why was the dealer not able to diagnose it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said to replace the control unit. Is there a test to determine if the control unit is faulty
I'm certain they did the required testing to determine that. It would require a scan tool and electrical testing of the module's powers, grounds, inputs and outputs. IF they had the car and diagnosed the problem in person I wouldn't have a reason to doubt them.