Bob
Bob, Mechanic
Experience:  UK level 3, Ford Tech, MG Rover Tech, ATA Tech
19517166

Saab 97x: My Saab is running rough. Struggling acceleration.

Customer Question

My Saab is running rough. Struggling acceleration. Engine light is on and sometimes blinks. The fuel gauge has been stuck on empty,and I recently had the front deferential replaced.Is this a fuel pump problem, fuel filter, or something else? The vehicle has 114,000 miles on it.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer.
Firstly, you need yo get the fault codes read. This can be done at any garage, or maybe a friend who has a fault code scanner. As the engine check light has been on, there will be a stored fault code.
I suspect the fault code you will get will be related to fuel pressure. This simply means no enough fuel is reaching the injectors when demanded.
First port of call is always the fuel filter. As this is replaced, check for any signs of swarf (small parts of metal) in the fuel as you drain it. Swarf in hr the fuel means a break down of of fuel system components.
The most likely cause of this is the 'sender' unit in the fuel tank. This is a basic electrical pump and this is also where the fuel guage is taken from.
So to summaries: Have the fault codes checked first to ensure this isnt just an ignition missfire. If the codes are for fuel pressure, have the pump in the tank check for flow rate/performance.
Thanks, Bob