Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Service Technician
Experience:  12 years Line Mechanic, Electronics, etc
1609972

Saab 9-3 2.0T Convertible: I have an 2008 9-3 and I'm trying

Customer Question

I have an 2008 9-3 and I'm trying to use a GPS plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, front and rear with no luck as there doesn't seem to be power to those plugs. I've checked the fuses and all are good. Even replaced fuse with spare and no power. What else should I be looking at. They were working a couple of weeks ago, but don't recall anything untoward going on.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”.You need to test with Voltage Meter or Test Light:Fuse 22 located in the Inside Fuse Panel should be checked for Voltage + on "both sides" with Key on.Also check the Inside "middle" of each Socket for Voltage + with Key OnBe careful not to touch the case sides when checking.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.. Please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for my time.NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..Rating is very Important to our Service..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked both with multimeter. No power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else electrical works on car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked both sockets and fuse 'both sides".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car battery was dead a couple of weeks ago and I charged it on slow charge overnight, but nothing else has occurred. Here in FL if the car isn't run for a few days the battery suffers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
You are stating that there is NO Voltage + to the middle receptacle of either Socket?Have you checked the connection on the rear of the Socket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the connection at the rear of the socket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible that a relay that controls the cigarette lighter has failed and therefore no power to the fuse?
There is No relay in this circuitSee attachment belowIF all sockets are inop, I am assuming there is a Fuse, or connection issue, unless the sockets were damaged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow! Is that the best you can do for $34? I had that figured out before I contacted you. You are not going to get a good rating from me.
You posted:Is it possible that a relay that controls the cigarette lighter has failed and therefore no power to the fuse? .I answered at 01 May 2015 08:00.You postedWow! Is that the best you can do for $34? I had that figured out before I contacted you. You are not going to get a good rating from me. 02 May 2015 02:25.What is it you want me to do.........IF you are not on-line to answer my information?I do not know your schedule, nor your ability..thanks
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried all your suggestions, which I had tried before contacting you, other than the suggestion of checking the wiring to and from the lighter sockets which I'm not prepared or qualified to do. I do not think tearing into the sockets is the best solution to the problem. Is there a relay in the circuit that has failed and that is the reason the fuse is still good?
Is there a relay in the circuit that has failed and that is the reason the fuse is still good? .sorry..........please reread my answers above, as I have posted that there is NO Relay & I also posted the Schematic for power direct from Fuse "22".For all sockets to fail, would be fuse, connection or sockets.You posted the Fuse was good (should have voltage + on "both sides" of Fuse)You posted you tested the sockets (should be the center receptacle)that would only leave connection at fuse or Sockets, or wiring issue, which is not typical.