jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.

Saab 9-3: Hi, I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t. There is a problem

I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t.
There is a problem with the automatic transmission.The scan doesnt give any transmission trouble code.
When I drive it, at 70km/hour 1700rpm,at this time the gear goes up from 4 to 5,then back to 4 gear. The transmission does this problem only at this speed.
If I go faster or slower,there is no problem at all.
Otherwise all other gear works well.
What could be the problem? What do you think?
I have an idea but I am not sure about it.
I think one of the solenoid bad in the valve body.
Thanks for your help,
Greetings Robert, Sounds like the converter lockup solenoid is beginning to fail. This is a fairly common problem with these transmissions and has the EXACT symptoms you are describing. The only way to test and verify in the vehicle is with a Tech2 scan tool. This enables the technician to interrogate the Transmission Control Module and read live data. This will tell if solenoid is bad or if TCM is sending an incorrect signal. As I said though the sole kid is the most likely and most common fault. Part should run approx $100 and labor takes roughly 2.5-3.0 hours for an experienced tech. If I can assist further I will be happy to help. Thank you, Jeffrey