jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

Saab 900 S: 1993 Saab 900 S 2.1 ltr non turbo engineI have

Customer Question

1993 Saab 900 S 2.1 ltr non turbo engine
I have just installed a new gear lever housing complete with ignition and electrical connection, gear lever as well, and I cant get the key out, and the shift lever is stiff?? not sure what to do or why it did not get back in the same spot it was before.
Category: Saab
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
GreetingsCustomer I need a bit more info to give you a more precise answer, please. Need to know if vehicle is a manual or automatic transmission? Also you changed key cylinder and ignition swich, but did you change the cog gears and return spring inside the housing as well? Thank you, Jeffrey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the entire unit is a complete unit, all the lock cogs etc one entire unit that was working in an other car. and it is a manual shifter 5 speed

Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again Marcel, Thank you for the added info. It sounds like the shifter assy needs 2 adjustments. First, loosen the 3 star nuts that hold housing to vehicle floor pan about 2 turns each...next pull shifter back in reverse position as far as it will go, or until key will turn fully to release position. Once this is adjusted, secure the 3 star nuts. Next remove shifter boot and remove 3 screws that hold shifter in place. Do this with shifter in NEUTRAL position if possible. Make sure plastic ball carrier on shifter is in tact. There is a plastic indexing tab that breaks off and can cause hard operation . Also check the lockout pin on bottom of shifter that goes in and out when lock out knob is activated. If necessary remove spring clip and adjust 1 turn CLOCKWISE. This is another adjustment that can cause hard shifter operation. If you require further help I will be glad to assist. Thank you, Jeffrey
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. The info you gave me did not work, I appears that 1st gear is in the 3rd position second feels different as well all the gears don appear to work the way the should, when I installed the new ignition switch I had to change the big console, could I have flipped that cup where the shifter sits and moved gear around??

Please help if you can,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Relist: Other.
Jeffrey is very good but I need an answer soon to resolve this issue.
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 6 months ago.
hello marcel, i apologize for the delay as i have been ill and off line alot. does they ignition key work as it should now? also did you loosen the pinch collar on the shifter rod whilst flipping the console over? I am flying home Friday night and will keep an eye out for this added info. Sounds as if shifter coupler may be out of alignment. Thank you, Jeffrey