jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

saab 9000CD: saab 9000...driving-along...instrument panel lost

Customer Question

saab 9000...driving-along...instrument panel lost life and engine stopped...so bringing auto back to Neutral still moving started the engine and all was well....later after stopping the car turned the ignition-key to start and engine turned over as normal but did not fire...l noticed that on a repeat attempt start that when l turned the key no lights showed on the panel, once again the motor cranked but did not fire. l linked the fact that there was no electrical-life showing on the dash with a fault....so l fiddled with the key [on & off] and was pleased to see dash come alive, turned the key to start....and it started normally. A few times now this happens..Question Why ? Bothers me that while driving.. the car may stop due to this fault...battery is good and nothing obvious to me..why does the instrument panel have no lights at times and will not start ?
Category: Saab
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
Greetings JACUSTOMER, your problem is a fairly common one. You need to replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Over time the contacts wear internally and will cause the exact symptoms you have described. The electrical portion is located directly behind the ignition cylinder and can be changed separate from the key cylinder. If I can assist further I will be happy to help. Thank you, Jeffrey
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that l have a s/h part to hopefully fix the prob...will do it tomorrow and will be back to you to pay !! Thanks for the help Tim
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tim
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you

Let me know,
Jeff