Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Saab 9-3: How do I replace the ignition control module in a

How do I replace the ignition control module in a 2000 saab 93?
Category: Saab
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

which engine - the 2.0 or 2.3L
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says 2.0 Turbo on the top of the engine

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, the icm is located atop the cylinder head. It is what sits over the spark plugs and what the spark plug tubes attach to

graphic

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the ICM is the big thing with the spark plugs in it? I thought it was just a small electronic chip that controlled the spark. And will it work fine if I replace it with a used one by myself?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Older cars use to be just a small unit. The 2.0 is a gm based engine similar to the 2.2 and 2.4 engines in gm that incorporate the ignition control module with the coil packs into one large unit.

Yes, it is fine to use the one from the other engine. no programming needed and saves you a whole lot of money as this part lists for $649
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, just one more question, it has nothing to do with the distributor? because everywhere else i looked online says in most cars it is in the distributor.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Older cars up until the mid 90s had them either in the distributor or close to it. most cars since the late 90s dont even have one. they have a camshaft sensor instead

But no, on yours, it has nothing to do with the distributor

You cannot compare other cars to yours. they are all different and have different components and configurations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX those out now.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

here is further confirmation if you require it:

graphic

Please remember to rate service so I receive credit for my time. thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.