Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30+ years experience. Former shop owner, service manager.
2947720

Saab: 1995 saab 900 turbo 2.0 stick fan goes on when hot stays

1995 saab 900 turbo 2.0 stick fan goes on when hot stays on over heats the lower radiater hose on passengers side is staying cold while fan is running , is this the water pump or head gaskit issue?

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

That sounds like the thermostat. The coolant in the engine is hot and the hose is cool?

.

That would be the first thing to check and there is also a test that can eb done for the head gasket, (which I normally would do first to be sure that the engine is good) with a special tester.

.

Would you want to replace, (or remove to test) the thermostat?

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We replaced the thermostats

Oh, I see.

.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket and you’ll likely need to take it in to get it repaired or at least do the test yourself.

.

The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. There is a tester for that, that you can gt from Autozone for about $20. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.

.

Block tester available as:

Napa BK.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>

OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE

Part Number:
27145

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search

If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either.

If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks