jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.

Saab 9-3 SE: Hello ,I have a 2003 SAAB 9-3 that will not

Hello , I have a 2003 SAAB 9-3 that will not turn on or start. I am a graduate student, I love my SAAB and treat him well but a few nights ago the car started making a strange noise when I changed gears. I restarted the car and the isue was still there, but after trying again the next morning all strange sounds are gone. Now, a few days later I try to use my remote to pop open the car - it doesnt work. When I put my key in the ignition to turn the car on it does not turn on, no lights or sounds, and does not start. Should I try a jump?

Note - I recently made a round-trip 4hr drive but the car was running smoothly the whole time. Only when I got back did it start to make strange noises when the gears switched. 

GreetingsCustomer Saab made 2 different model 9-3's in 2003, so I need to know which model you have. Does your vehicle have a trunk or a hatch? Also, are there any warning lights illuminated on the dash? Thank you, Jeffrey
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a trunk and 4 doors, and there are no warning lights or any lights at all illuminated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Question is high priority and I need an online expert
Hello Makers, you will need to charge battery to 12.5 volts. The attempt start. If you still have problems I would replace battery. Then check ISM and CIM which control immobilization. I will be happy to answer any more questions you have. Thank you, Jeffrey
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank u but I'm afraid I've made a few errors in ny original question. My Saab is a 1999 9-5 model.

I have attempted to jump and the car started. However, the indicator lights do not work and neither do the power windows. The sunroof and internal lights are operational. Not sure if there is a bigger problem here?

Hazard lights work- but no indicators

Also there is occasionally a sort of scratchy churning noise when I switch gears, which has returned

Car will not restart without a jump. I believe Batt was last replaced 2 yrs ago

Hello Makeda, Ok...1999 Saab 9-5...It definitely sounds like the battery will need to be replaced since it requires a jump every time to start it. As for other electrical symptoms I would suspect the electrical portion on the ignition switch, which is a common failure on the 9-5. Also check vehicle charging system to be sure alternator is free of problems. Finally, I need to know if transmission is an automatic or a standard shift to answer that question. I am happy to help you with whatever you need. Thank you, Jeffrey
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The transmission is automatic.

When I tried to jumpstart today, car would not respond.

I have replaced the battery which someone who took at look at it said showed signs of corrosion. However, the car is still not starting. I am still in process of checking charging system and electrical ignition switch.

Will keep you updated, thank you for your help so far

Greetings Makeda, As for the transmission noise, check fluid condition and level. Fluid should be reddish brown and have no acrid smell. Keep me posted on electrical results and I will be happy to assist. Thank you, jeffrey
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jeffrey,

After replacing the battery, the car still would not start. At that point I had someone check it out and they said that the started also needed to be replaced (Which is done) and also the ignition cylinder, which is a piece that I would need to purchase at a Saab dealership. He suggested that this be done ASAP as it is causing the ignition to be in the constant on position and drain the starter. Does this sounds right at all?

I am away from home and my usual Saab technician but I have found a shop that specializes in Saabs. Good idea to take it there ASAP?

Thanks for all of your help so far, I will ask them to check the transmission fluid and the electrical switch as the power windows and indicator lights are still not functional

Hi Makeda, The electrical portion of the ignition switch was my diagnosis in previous post along with for starter have them double check it since the ignition switch can cause no power to the solenoid...and it is also the likely cause of the dash light problem as well. Here if you need more help !...Jeff