jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

I jsut bought a 2003 9-3 convert. the blinkers work off and

Customer Question

I jsut bought a 2003 9-3 convert. the blinkers work off and on and will blink 4-5 time then stop, then not work at all?? Also the pixels in the gauge for the Climate control half work, half dont
Category: Saab
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
GreetingsCustomer do turn signals have sound but don't illuminate...or vice versa???Also is climate screen legible and just no backlight? This will aid in a more accurate diagnosis. Thank you, Jeffrey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jeffrey,

they will blink with sound 4-5 times and stop, then they will blink no sound then they wont blink at all. The illumination around the cigarette lighter and the dome lights will blink with blinker some of the time too. Just half the climate screen is illuminated on the left and only the top 4 lines for fan show although each level works. The only thing on the right that lights up is the bottom icon for the defrost. the blinkers and hazard is the weirdest thing, not rhyme or reason for when they will or will not work, almost like there is a loose connection and I just tried taking the cover off the steering wheel but everything seemed intact. My daughter also said the horn did not work but it works every time I try to use it.

Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kevin, One more question please. Does the vehicle have the original stereo system installed or is it an aftermarket stereo system? Thank you, Jeffrey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, but interestingly, I was going to have an aftermarket radio put in but the shop put the radio head pull pins in and could not get the unit out. I just bought the car for my 16 year old daughter so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.

OkCustomer Saab had two body style 9-3's in 2003. Your vehicle is the original body style from your description. Can you make sure your VIN starts with "YS3" for me please? Sorry , but different fixes for either vehicle. Thank you, Jeffrey

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YS3 is correct

Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks... Ok..There is a ground which is located deep inside the dash (actually there are 2 of them) . They are located on the steel center beam of the dash structure. It sounds from your description as if one could be loose/corroded which would cause a high resistance condition. The ground problem will cause the dome and lighter lamps to flash off sync with the blinkers...and also the horn to operate intermittently. You will need to do some extensive circuit testing with a good Digital Volt Ohm Meter and some additional test equipment. It would be alot easier if you can find a shop with a Saab / GM Tech2 scanner as it has the capability to interrogate the data bus system and find the problem alot faster. Approx cost for this testing would cost roughly $150-$250. As for the climate control, there are very specific illumination bulbs that are installed from behind the ACC Head and it sounds as if 1 or 2 need replacement. If I can assist further I will be happy to help you. Thank you, Jeffrey

jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you remove the ACC head? Is the $150-$250 just for the test or including the regrounding of the wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did see a couple of ground wires behind the fuse box but I am going to assume by your description that the one I would be looking for is up near the center firewall.

Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 1 year ago.
Hi kevin, It is actually located on the center beam of the dash support. Looked all over for a picture but haven't found one yet. When and if I do I will send it to you. Thank you, Jeffrey