peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

Saab: I have a 03 Saab 9.3 The car is in limp home mode with

Customer Question

I have a 03 Saab 9.3
The car is in limp home mode with yellow light on dash. I tried to read the CAN OBTii but couldn't get code. I've also disco'd the battery over night. Same result. Also replaced the Mass air flow detector. still same. Did have Advanced auto do scan some time back came back with P0411 and P0638. any idea would help as there aren't any Saab mechanics near by.
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 years ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

The codes you had in the past here may not be related to what is occurring now.What needs to be done again is to have the fault codes checked in all computers to see what codes have set.Most likely there may be a new code set causing this issue here.

Once the codes are read out then it can be diagnosed as to what is causing this "limp mode" fault here.If you can find out what codes have set then come back here and post the code info I can look into the codes to see if we can locate this issue here.

In some cases a local parts store might be able to rent out their scan tool/code reader for you to check these codes.

This can be anything from a failing anti lock brake/traction component to a component on the engine like the throttle body assembly itself.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As my 1 note indicated;

are the 2 codes I now have.

I bought a OBDII/EOBD SCANNER and tried to read the scanned myself

instead of getting the code it shut everything down. Had to disconnect the battery over night. When I did reconnect battery the car started but still same issue.

O.k.,code P0411 is for the secondary air injection system having incorrect air flow.This usually wont cause a limp mode or engine shut down of any kind.This can be caused by a failed exhaust check valve,failed air pump or possibly one of the air injection pump hoses and would need to be checked into further to locate and correct the fault here.

Code P0638 will set when there is a fault with the mechanical throttle position when it is different then the desired position.This can be a fault with the throttle body itself (most common) or possibly the wiring leading up to the throttle body.

I would check the wiring and electrical connections to make sure they are all o.k. at the throttle body.If found to be o.k. this may be an internal electrical fault with the throttle body itself.This will cause the limp mode here.

Thanks Pete