jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

Saab 9-3 Linear: 2003 Saab 9-3 will not start. I put the key

Customer Question

2003 Saab 9-3 will not start. I put the key in the ignition and the normal clicking sounds are not there. When I turn the key, the engine turns over, but will not start. What relays activate when I put my key in the ignition and could one of them be the culprit of my engine failing to start?
Category: Saab
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 2 years ago.
Greetings JACUSTOMER, There are several relays and components which activate when you try to start your '03 Linear...The Ignition Switch Module (ISM) sends a signal to the Column Integrated Module (CIM) which in turn sends a data signal to the Trionic T8 Engine Management Control Module through the immobilizer circuit..If all info is correct in immobilizer, then and only then will fuel pump relay and starter system relay be given permissions to pull down and complete starting operations. I know this is alot to digest; but the system is completely computer driven and basically needs a Tech2 Scan Tool to determine where the "blocking" signal is emanating from. Before I went and had this checked,however, you can do a "quick test" yourself to see if the engine has a fuel pump problem or not. Remove the 4 screws securing the plastic engine shroud and move shroud to the side. Look down at the metal fuel rail which runs alongside the valve cover. You will see a black plastic cap. Unscrew the cap...In the center you will see what looks like a tire valve core...place a rag over it and depress the core with a small screwdriver or similar object. If very little fuel comes out , odds are the fuel pump has failed. This is a VERY common problem on 2003 vehicles since the fuel pump supplier was terrible to say the least......If I can assist you or answer your question further please let me know...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should someone turn the engine over while I am depressing this fuel valve?
hello Again JACUSTOMER, First try just depressing the valve...doing it while cranking will have 40psi plus ; so we will use that as a lat resort...just depress the valve and there should be a good amount of residual pressure (approx1.5 bar) which will give you a decent spray of fuel...If there is nothing then CAREFULLY try with a helper cranking...I will stand by to answer any further questions you may have...jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the help. I unfortunately ran out of time and had to have my car towed to a mechanic. Once repaired, I will let you know what the problem was.

Thanks again.

Hello Again JACUSTOMER, Thanks for the EXCELLENT RATING and for using my service. I am always here and ready to assist you in diagnosing and repairing your vehicle. I hope to work with you again in the future. Again THANKS for the great rating and for using JA...Jeff