Saab Tech
Saab Tech, Saab Technician
Experience:  Saab Certified & ASE Master Technician
6758627

2007 saab: aero..nav...sat nav is coming up with disc read error

Just bought a 2007 saab aero estate with a touch sceen sat nav. The sat nav is coming up with disc read error and won't load a new destination although it read a previous one yesterday. Any suggestions?
Category: Saab
Expert:  Saab Tech replied 2 years ago.

Saab Tech :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Saab Tech :

"Disc Read Error" is usually fatal.

Saab Tech :

You can try a different, known good disc and see if that helps

Saab Tech :

But when that error comes up, it usually indicates that the Disc Reader internal to the radio is failing.

Saab Tech :

Is this a genuine Saab NAV disc? Copies and reproductions are usually the first to give fits with NAV radios.

Customer:

yes it is genuine SAB disc. The message is "MAP dvd - read error". My next plan is indeed to try a proper disc. How bad is it if teh read head has failed? Is it worth trying a DVD head cleaner?

Saab Tech :

You can try a DVD head cleaner, but honestly, I have had 0% luck fixing this type of issue. You can try it and I will hope that you get lucky!

Saab Tech :

But if that doesn't work, you may be looking for a second hand unit, or sending yours off for repair.

Customer:

thanks. any idea where I might do either of these?

Saab Tech :

If you get a new/exhange/second hand unit, it will need to be configured to the car, which will require a Saab dealer or Saab independent specialty shop.

Saab Tech :

If you can find a place that will repair yours (if you send it to them), there will be no configuration needed (since its your radio)

Customer:

luckily I have an excellent specialist near me (Saab Motorvation), but do you have any idea of the general order of cost?

Saab Tech :

Although I have not tried, people have claimed that with 2007 and later models, you can replace the factory radio with an aftermarket NAV radio.

Customer:

ok, many thanks

Saab Tech :

Everybody is different. Probably going to be a few hundred quid.

Saab Tech, Saab Technician
Experience: Saab Certified & ASE Master Technician