saabspecialist
saabspecialist, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 15 years Saab experience
18322973

Saab 9-5 Linear-2.3 ignition switch removal for replacement-

ignition switch removal for replacement- 2002 saab 9-5 linear- remove plastic housing, remove plastic snap collar. How does remainder of metal lock cylinder come out. is it threaded in?
Category: Saab
Expert:  saabspecialist replied 2 years ago.

saabspecialist :

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer, are we doing the lock cylinder? or the ignition switch? If your doing the ignition switch you basically have to remove ALL of the center console plastics between the front seats(you do not have to remove lock cylinder). At that point your looking down at the long metal shifter housing. You then remove 4 screws on all 4 corners of housing and turn it over slightly. You can than look up underneath and see ignition switch. Unplug electrical connector and remove small torx screws and it's out. Good luck, hope this helps, if it does PLEASE hit ACCEPT.

Customer:

Key is not turning in the ignition lock to start the car. Apparently Frozen. Do I have to remove all of the center console plastics to take out the frozen lock cylinder. Does the switch cause the frozen key situation. How do the plastics disaemble w/o breaking them where do you start. Do you have a diagram.

saabspecialist :

Hello sir, I'm very sorry for so long getting back to you, an ignition switch shouldn't be causing key to not turn,(at least I've never seen that), it sounds like you either have a malfunctioning lock cylinder, or something is wrong with your key. If your key has no visible issues like being bent or having a chunk missing from it, you probably have bad lock cylinder. Another issue is, to remove lock cylinder, you have to be able to turn key on.This is a situation that defenitely may be above average do-it-yourselfer.Lock cylinder will more than likely have to be drilled/mangled out of shifter housing. Then a new lock cylinder can be ordered through Saab coded by the car's vin. Or a blank lock linder could be coded by a locksmith using your key. Sir this isn't pleasent news I know, and again so sorry for the delay.Thanks and good luck.

Customer:

I appreciate your effort, however you are too late. I've had to go on to other solutions to fix the issue with my Saab. Also and you may not agree if the key was turning in the lock then there would be no problem. The cylinder should come out without beoing able to turn the key. I cannot accept your answer.

saabspecialist :

I know manual says that but they're wrong, key has to be on to get old one out and new one in, most people when they start having trouble replace the lock cylinder. Lock cylinders don't usually just suddenly stop working. Again, not expecting an accept because of how long, but manual is wrong! Just did one a month ago on a 9-5. Good luck!

Customer:

You are highly qualified. No offense. If we got together sooner on this it

Customer:

would have saved me some footwork and wasted time.

Customer:

I accepted your answer since it was the honest truth. The Saab dealer in Albany N.Y. is closed, however the principals opened their own shop and I found out where they were located yesterday. They freed the ignition lock up using their 40 + years of experience. Otherwise it would have had to come out the hard way, the way you said.

Experience: Over 15 years Saab experience