Mark N
Mark N, Saab Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience on all models of Saabs!
22700663

Saab 9-3 SE Where is the radiator hose and thermostat housing

Where is the radiator hose and thermostat housing located for a 2002 Saab 9-3 2.0L Turbo? The thermostat needs to be changed.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Mark N replied 5 years ago.

Mark N :

Hello and welcome!

Mark N :

On the driver's side of the car, follow the large-diameter hose that's attached to the top of the radiator back towards the engine. At the back of the engine, the hose takes a 90-degree turn and attaches to the thermostat housing, which is bolted to the head. You'll have to take a couple 10mm screws out from the housing that hold a ground wire and a bracket to it. After that, rmove the 13mm bolts holding the housing to the head, and you're good to go!

Mark N :

Let me know how you make out. If you need more info, please feel free to write back. If you feel I have answered your question sufficiently, please click the ACCEPT button. Thanks for checking in with us!

Customer:

Hello.

Customer:

Do I actually need to remove the radiator hose? It looks like there's a spring-loaded clip that requires a vise clamp, which I don't have. Is there a way to just removing the metal housing without removing the radiator hose? I tried pliers, but that alone, was a very tough fit. I don't think I'll have room with a vise clamp.

Mark N :

Yes, you can leave the hose connected and take the housing off.

Mark N :

Then just fold the hose back out of the way to replace the t/stat.

Customer:

Hi there, I apologize for the long delay. You have been helpful with the previous questions.

One last question, typically (ball park), how many labor hours should a mechanic be spending on changing the water pump on a Saab.

Mark N :

For the 2002 9-3 referred to in your question, our shop charges 3.5 hours to replace a water pump.

Customer:

Wow, okay. The shop I took my car to is charging 7 hours. Which sounded funny off the bat, but my car isn't exactly driveable so I agreed to get the work done. Is there anything I can say or ask them when I pick up my car to try to reduce the total cost or is it too late, in your opinion?

Mark N :

You could ask them where they get their labor times from, and try to negotiate a lower price (nicely!). But legally, a shop can charge whatever they want for a particular job. If it's agreed to, unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do.

Customer:

Thanks for all your help!