Saab Tech
Saab Tech, Saab Technician
Experience:  Saab Certified & ASE Master Technician

Where are timing marks on cam gears and crank goes to tdc right??

where are timing marks on cam gears and crank goes to tdc right??
Category: Saab
Expert:  Saab Tech replied 3 years ago.

Saab Tech :

Hello! How far into the repair are you?

Saab Tech :

I see that you are not in chat, so here is what i can tell you:

Saab Tech :

On these motors, the cam gears do not have timing marks.

Saab Tech :

The crank does, however.

Saab Tech :

There is a notch on the balancer and a notch on the timing cover. When they are aligned, the engine is at TDC.

Saab Tech :

The cams are a different story and thats because the sprockets to not spline to the camshaft, the friction caused by torquing the cam sprocket bolts is all that keeps them from moving.

Saab Tech :

So in order to time this engine, you MUST have the special tools. They look like camshaft bearing caps, with the shape of the cam lobe carved out of them.

Saab Tech :

This holds the cams in perfect position so you can torque down the cam sprocket bolts.

Saab Tech :

If you have not dissasembled the motor, you "might" be able to get away with marking the chain to the sprocket and mark the sprocket to the cam as a reference,

Saab Tech :

however I never tried this (I always used the tool), so I cannot garuntee its validity

Customer:

is there any way I can get the tool?? is it posible that its the same as the gm 2.2 the sprockets are keyed and the cams are also then I could use the timing for the 2.2 . I bought timing set for 2.2 echtech everything fits perfect even the cam gears with the keys.

Saab Tech :

You can buy the tool from Kent-Moore (the distributor of GM tools), but I'll warn you, they are rather expensive considering what they are. My set was $250.

Saab Tech :

I would suspect that because the Saab is Turbo, it has a different cam profile than the ecotech

Saab Tech :

Also keep in mind that Saab camshafts drive accessories on the end of them and the Ecotech camshafts may not have the needed provisions for them.

Customer:

i still have the saab cam shafts just changed the sprockets.

Saab Tech :

But the Saab camsahfts don't have keyways for the Ecotech sprockets? The purpose of the tool is to correctly orient the sprocket to the cam.

Saab Tech :

timing marks on the gear in relation to the chain are irrelevant if the sprocket is not correctly placed on the camshaft.

Customer:

the camshafts do have the keyway the sprockets bolt right on

Saab Tech :

Well, I can honestly say I have never done that, or heard of it.

Saab Tech :

So unfortunately, I cannot advise as to whether that will work on not.

Customer:

the timing jumped when was taking it apart so not sure timing is correct still, and now the top bolt on the stationary guide is broke inside the head so I have to get that out.i will turn it over by hand to make sure nothing hits.

Saab Tech, Saab Technician
Experience: Saab Certified & ASE Master Technician