Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have my motor home in storage and plugged into 120 volts

Customer Question

I have my motor home in storage and plugged into 120 volts today the surge guard box started humming louder and louder then a pop and it starts over and over over 20 sec periods until I unplug the power whats going on?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 8 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 8 days ago.

Were you using any kind of adapter on the plug? Anything on inside the coach? Were the batteries discharged or not? Get back to me with this and anything else you think might be pertinent here. Also, any chance that mice may have gotten into the unit while sitting? If so, they may have caused a short in one of the circuits. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the coach batteries were low since the lights were very low. I had a surge protector adapter to go from 110 to 50 amp. one breaker was popped it said it was the stove vent even after I undid the fuse to the stove vent. I started the onan and everything ran fine the breaker reset and the surge guard ran fine until I turned off the onan and it started again
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no mouse droppings in the motorhome
Expert:  Randall replied 8 days ago.

You really shouldn't run that much on just a standard 120 VAC outlet. The coach was using more power than the supply could provide and it spiked the amperage which got it hot. Easy to burn something up! I would advise you get a standard RV outlet if possible there of at least 30 amps. That should keep this from happening. Have the batteries load tested to be sure that they are viable and be sure that all cables and connections are free of corrosion. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more later as all follow ups are included in our fee and there is no time limit.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 days ago.

Just following up here on your question. I am wondering if you perhaps missed my earlier response or did you get this resolved? Easy to do with the large amount of e-mail most of us get these days! If you need me to resend it, please let me know. Thanks!